php sprintf + sql like

by Josh Highland on July 6, 2008

grey php sprintf + sql like

Sometimes I do my best programming when I’m tired. Don’t ask me why, I just do. It’s a skill I picked up in college.

Being tired and producing good code wasn’t the case last night. I was trying to use the sprintf PHP function with a SQL “Like” statement. I made some dumb mistakes that tripped me up for a while. Hopefully someone out there will find this post and help them not make the problems I made, sleepy or not!

Normally the LIKE is used in mysql like this:
SELECT name FROM users WHERE name LIKE 'J%';

That would get all names including: Josh, Jason, Jimi, etc.
In a SQL Like statement the % is a wild card, so the command is to match everything starting with “J”

Now when you use the sprintf() function it looks kind like this:
$query = sprintf("SELECT name FROM users WHERE name='%s'", $searchString);
The %s will be replaced with the value of $searchString

Trying to combined them is where I had some problems….

At first I tried to do something like this:
$query = sprintf("SELECT name FROM users WHERE name LIKE'%s'", $searchString);
didnt return what I was looking for at all, it had no wild cards in it!

Then I tried this:
$query = sprintf("SELECT name FROM users WHERE name LIKE'%s%'", $searchString);
didnt work either, this time it threw errors

But this worked great
$query =
sprintf("SELECT name FROM users WHERE name LIKE '%s'", $searchString . "%");

So the moral of the story is, if you want to use a SQL Like statement, appent the wildcard for the Like statement to the string to be inserted by the sprintf funtion.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

1 rq July 11, 2008 at 6:05 am

Or: sprintf(“… LIKE ‘%s%%’”, $searchString);

Inside the *printf format string the double percent sign means to replace by a single percent sign without consuming an argument to the *printf call.

I notice both “Ads by Google” below are about protecting your site from SQL Injection attacks.

2 Brian July 28, 2008 at 4:48 am

Thanks Josh, I appreciate this tutorial. It worked out great once I had my string properly formated. Great Job!
Brian http://www.classifiedart.com

3 J October 21, 2008 at 7:22 am

Nice simple solution! Thanks, I was scratching my head on this one.

4 Josh Highland October 21, 2008 at 7:55 pm

hooray! someone found it useful! the purpose of this blog post has been fulfilled

5 Jimmyjames November 10, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Nice solution! Thanks for posting.

Using ‘%s%%’ the final string came out as ‘s’% instead of ‘s%’

6 Slavi November 26, 2008 at 8:46 am

Hi Josh,

I would modify the query to use mysql_real_escape_string:

$query = sprintf(“SELECT name FROM users WHERE name LIKE ‘%s’”, mysql_real_escape_string($searchString) . “%”);

Slavi

7 Dave December 21, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Helped me out :-)

Ended up using it like

…OR `CaseType` LIKE ‘%s’)”, mysql_real_escape_string(“%”.”%”.$extra_search.”%”.”%”));

8 Hall January 22, 2009 at 7:58 am

Thanks I had the same problem:

old code:
$sql = “SELECT wmenuid, wsubmenus FROM “.$prefix.”_woordenboekpaginas WHERE themasite=’$template’ AND wlevel=’$lid’ AND wsubmenus LIKE ‘%$pagina%’”;

Solution 1:
$sql = sprintf(“SELECT wmenuid, wsubmenus FROM “.$prefix.”_woordenboekpaginas WHERE themasite=’%s’ AND wlevel=%d AND wsubmenus LIKE ‘%%%s%%’”, mysql_real_escape_string($template), mysql_real_escape_string($lid), mysql_real_escape_string($pagina));

Or solution 2:
$sql = sprintf(“SELECT wmenuid, wsubmenus FROM “.$prefix.”_woordenboekpaginas WHERE themasite=’%s’ AND wlevel=%d AND wsubmenus LIKE ‘%s’”, mysql_real_escape_string($template), mysql_real_escape_string($lid), mysql_real_escape_string(“%”.”%”.$pagina.”%”.”%”));

Thanks you all ! (and google for giving this paga almost on top of the search results !)

9 SQL Tutorials April 30, 2009 at 6:09 pm

You know, the thing about SQL is, that there is virtually nothing that can replace it.

Does anyone know if a substitute exists for sql? I mean besides MS SQL and Oracle and all that jazz. Thanks.

10 Stalski July 13, 2009 at 10:27 am

Thx Hall, was forgotten how to do this. ‘%%%s%%’ was indeed the most obvious solution. Two % signs ends up in one, leaving the sql as intended.

11 Marcelo September 26, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Great.

12 Jheric January 18, 2010 at 3:54 am

Great.. big help.. thanks

13 xberni July 23, 2010 at 1:56 am

Great help, thanks

14 ChoonyFish August 24, 2010 at 11:20 am

Brilliant thanks. Was really pulling my hair out over this!

15 Piotr September 24, 2010 at 2:18 am

Thanks for the trick. You made my day.

16 faye March 31, 2011 at 9:08 pm

How can I execute properly this code:

mysql_select_db($database_a, $a);
$query_searchCri = sprintf(“SELECT cv_name, cv_skill,cv_status FROM cv WHERE cv_skill = %s and cv_status=%s ORDER BY cv_name ASC “, GetSQLValueString($colname_searchCri, “text”));
$query_limit_searchCri = sprintf(“%s LIMIT %d, %d”, $query_searchCri, $startRow_searchCri, $maxRows_searchCri);

It always return : Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in …
and You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘LIMIT 0, 10′ at line 1.

Thank you.